Day 13 Spring is here its official

Friday 23 April 2010

To Day 13 Friday 112 miles,81 locks, 15 swing/lift bridges and 2 cappuccinos ( although I did have a few in Newbury I have only counted one - other wise I think I am cheating myself)

We finally left Newbury after 2 nights, it is just a great boat place to visit. We cruised with nb Silvermoon to Kintbury. The weather was glorious and the scenery through the River Kennet water meadows great- it was just a perfect days boating. Spring has definitely arrived because we have heard a cuckoo and seen our first bunch of ducklings. Anne also saw the first kingfisher of the trip- I missed it-aaah.

We are now moored at the 48hour moorings above Kintbury lock and although next to the railway is now not too noisy. The only troule with the K&A is that you cannot just moor up as the banks are very shallow, it may improve as we move along it-I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Another old mill this time at Kintbury converted to flats.


The old Rectory Kintbury


Our mooring at Kintbury


Looking back at Hamstead Lock which is on the edge of Hamstead Estate in an area that used to grow watercress using the River Kennet.


A group of youngsters who were shooting the mill weir at Newbury.



First group of ducklings at Newbury- she had in total 12- I wonder how many will survive.