Day 39 now back at the top of The Caen Hill flight

Thursday 20 May 2010

Totals to day 39 Thursday are now 188 miles, 181 locks, 33 lift/swing bridges, 11 cappuccinos and 3 events. ( I have a problem on cappuccinos as we are now going back over the same ground - I am not counting the places I have already found - only new locations- that seems fair to me).

We are now back at Devizes wharf after coming up the the 28 locks associated with the Caen Hill area.

This was greatly helped by our friends John and Eve who came especially from Tiverton. They wanted to see us and the boat- we said how about a nice day at Caen Hill - I am not sure if they really appreciated how much they helped us. Anne's back side is getting better slowly, but is definitely not helped by doing the locks. She has been doing a lot more steering- and very well indeed-the confidence is growing all the time. I am lock wheeling ie using my Brompton fold up bike to travel between the locks and also work the one in front at the same time.This speeds us up through the locks when they are close together.Unfortunately as we move along the canal the locks move to one every mile or so I will not be able to lock wheel so much.

The local cool swan who was swanning around the boat this evening with one leg up out of the water and the other just gliding him around- he would look good with a pair of Rayburns!

John having mastered the locking gets us to the top of the flight.

Anne teaching Eve the mysteries of locking and which way to push the gates open and shut!!!!


Another example of the weird and wonderful craft that people use on this part of the canal-it looks like an old lifeboat.

When they restored the canal between Bradford on Avon and Bath they relined it with concrete to ensure that it did not leak like the original canal. They have the ramps every so often- my only guess is that they are to let ducks/moorhens etc get out- Anne's not so sure but has not come up with an alternative.


A heron that refused to fly away as we approached. We think he had his eye on some ducklings. In fact when we were in Bath I saw a heron being mobbed by a gull I think he had taken a chick or an egg.


The team- Anne at the helm and me near my trusty Brompton stead.

Our mooring the other evening at Claverton which is within the Avon valley and is just such a lovely spot.

The old mill at Limpley Stoke on the Avon, it has been converted to small business units.



Rennie's magnificent Dundas Aqueduct.



Our last night mo0ring at Sydney Gardens in Bath.